The Media Council of Kenya is an independent national institution established by the Media Act, 2013 as the leading institution in the regulation of media and in the conduct and discipline of journalists. The Council seeks to fill the following vacant position:
Research and Media Monitoring Officer - MCK/VA/1
Overall Purpose of the Position
To supervise the media monitoring unit of the Council in a manner that develops, maintains and continually improves the Council image and reputation to stakeholders and partners.
- Formulate the media monitoring programme for the Council and oversee its implementation
- Supervise and train media monitors and interns and guide them to ensure strict adherence to the media monitoring principles.
- Design and implement qualitative and quantitative monitoring tools for the assessment of the performance of Kenyan media
- Generate reliable and timely monitoring reports and data for the Media Resource Centre
- Coordinate the writing and production of the annual State of the Media Report.
- Work closely with the Programmes Manager in the maintenance of an efficient and effective monitoring unit
- Schedule monitoring activities and assignments in a manner that ensues adequate control and cost effectiveness in the use of materials and facilities.
- Relevant Master´s Degree from an accredited institution in Communications, Journalism;
- Degree in journalism/communication from a recognised institution, or any other relevant field with verifiable work experience in media monitoring and research;
- Post graduate qualification in project management.
- Good research skills preferably in analysis of media text/content analysis (qualitative and quantitative)
- Skills and experience in ICT- based applications; advanced proficiency in SPSS and Microsoft Excel
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Report writing and public presentation skills.
- Conversant with the current media performance trends and professional issues related to ethical principles in journalism.
Applicants meeting above qualifications should send their applications giving full details of their age, qualifications, experience, present and expected remuneration, full contact address including daytime telephone number, detailed C.V., copies of certificates and testimonials and contact details of three referees.
Applications should indicate position applied for including the reference number and addressed to:
The Chief Executive Officer
Media Council of Kenya
P.O. Box 43132- 00100
Or hand deliver applications to: Media Council of Kenya, Ground Floor, British American Insurance Co. Centre at Mara/Ragati Road Junction in Upper Hill.
So as to reach not later than 17th March 2017
NB: Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted and canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.